2014 - present, Founder & CEO, Evertoon.
- Founded a startup that has built technology for a social video-making community. Evertoon's iPhone and Android apps allow users to create 3-D avatars from selfie photos and make animated characters and videos to share with others. The app has been used to make 340,000 avatars and over 100,000 videos.
- Managed the team of artists, engineers, and consultants in marketing and design.
- Oversaw the building of server-side systems for user accounts, community, and abuse prevention, and the creation of the client-side apps using Unity3D.
- Negotiated a low-six-figure contract to license our technology to a mobile company.
- Raised $1.765M from Greylock, Arena, Amino Capital, and notable angels including Ali Rosenthal, Greg Badros, Ellen Pao, and Charlie Cheever.
2017 - present, Advisor to VC Fund, Basis Set Ventures.
- Advised portfolio startups of a $136M AI-focused venture fund regarding technical decisions and engineering leadership.
- Performed due diligence to assess startups' technology and team.
2010 - 2014, CTO, Minted.
- Oversaw all software development (community, commerce, backend), dev ops, IT, and analytics.
- Recruited the company's engineering department from the ground up into a team of 40 people. Recruited and managed 4 engineering directors.
- Created technical ladder for compensation and promotions. Led the engineering directors to perform career management for technical employees.
- Directed the development of anti-cheating algorithms to prevent abuse amongst community members.
- Helped grow the company's revenues by 20x to tens of millions in annual revenue.
- Directed the migration of the server platform to a mixture of Rackspace and AWS.
- Helped raise $46M from investors, including series B from Benchmark and series C from TCV.
- Set strategy, budget, and organizational chart for technology department, and ensured that it enabled other departments including marketing and operations.
2010 - present, Advisor to Various Startups, including Rent the Runway, MyTime, and Tawkify.
- Advised a number of startups on engineering leadership,
recruiting, and technical infrastructure.
2010, Cofounder, Sunfire Offices
- Started and managed an organization for 30+ startups that was sponsored by top venture capitalists including Sequoia, Benchmark, and Kleiner Perkins. Evaluated startups for membership. Mentored member companies on product development and fundraising.
2003 - 2008, Engineering Manager, Google
Founder, Google Lively
Lead, Gmail Ads Engineering
- Founded a product for avatar chat and in-browser 3-D graphical social experiences.
- Responsible for all parts of the product, including engineering, marketing, legal, and community management.
- Co-inventor on 5 patents.
Cofounder, Google Desktop Search
- Led a team of engineers to improve Gmail revenue via
enhancements in machine learning, text processing, and user interface improvements.
- Increased per-user revenue by 140% via fourteen improvements, making Gmail break-even during 2006 in the US market.
- Co-inventor on 3 patents.
Throughout Google experience
- Cofounded Desktop Search from product inception
through public launch. Desktop was used by 75 million weekly active users.
- Implemented key components including the search query system,
instant messenger capture, snippets, and the sidebar.
- Co-inventor on 19 patents.
- Won a Google Founder's Award, the highest internal award.
- Served for 5 years on the Hiring Committee, which makes offer decisions on candidates.
- Helped Google set up processes for client-side development, including
Windows configuration testing and performance analysis.
- Built the client-engineer recruiting process, including job description,
interview questions, training interviewers, and determining job criteria.
- Interviewed 300+ engineering candidates. Screened hundreds of resumes.
- Launched Google Movie Showtimes as a 20% project.
1998 - 2003, Engineering Manager, Microsoft
Microsoft Flight Simulator FX and UI
Software Engineer, Microsoft Sports and
- Managed the FX and UI engineering teams through shipping Flight
Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight, focusing on maintaining quality while hitting deadlines.
- Gave career guidance to engineers. Did performance evaluations and determined compensation.
- Improved performance, doubling framerates and virtually eliminating stutters.
- Developed a technology for real-time cloud rendering, which I presented
at SIGGRAPH and GDC, and published in Journal of Graphics Tools.
- Interviewed 100+ engineering candidates.
- Implemented various areas of a racing game for PC and Xbox, including
UI, art pipeline, and input system.
- M.S., Computer Science, University of Washington, 2001. GPA 3.9.
(While working fulltime at Microsoft.)
- B.S., Computer Science, California Institute of Technology, 1998. GPA
3.8. (Graduated at age 18.)
- Wang, N., Wade, B. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow (and
Rain). Game Programming Gems 5, Charles River Media. 2005.
- Wang, N. Realistic and Fast Cloud Rendering, Journal of
Graphics Tools. 2004.
- Wang, N. Let There Be Clouds, Game Developers Magazine.
- Ishii, H., Page, S., Wang, N. 1999. A Day at the Beach:
Human Agents Self-Organizing on the Sand Pile. Advances in Complex
Systems. Vol 2, Issue 1. p 37 - 64.